Looking for the best dog food for your husky? We’ve got you covered.
Siberian husky owners know just how special their dogs are. This beautiful working dog breed is well known for its intelligence and physical endurance, as well as having a fantastic, friendly temperament.
Although huskies are a large and active breed, they require a comparatively small amount of food for their size, as they were bred to be working dogs in harsh conditions where food was hard to come by, and their bodies are therefore super efficient at burning calories and using nutrients compared to other breeds of dog.
Nevertheless it is very important that they are fed the correct diet that will keep them happy, healthy and full of energy.
So what exactly should you be feeding your four legged husky pal? Read on to find out…
- 1 Do Huskies Have Specific Dietary Needs?
- 2 Any Ingredients to Avoid?
- 3 Best Dog Food for Huskies
- 3.1 Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- 3.2 Rachael Ray Nutrish Large Breed Natural Premium Dry Dog Food
- 3.3 SPORTMiX Wholesome Chicken Meal and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
- 3.4 Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Large Adult Dry Dog Food
- 3.5 Black Gold Explorer Original Performance Formula
- 3.6 CANIDAE All Life Stages, Premium Dry Dog Food with Whole Grains
- 3.7 Diamond Naturals Premium Dry Dog Food
Do Huskies Have Specific Dietary Needs?
Due to their high metabolism, huskies thrive best on protein rich, calorie dense dog foods which are packed with nutrients and moderate amounts of healthy fats.
All large, active dog breeds like the husky require a top quality food to stay in tip top condition.
Protein in the form of chunks of real meat or fish should be the number 1 ingredient. Carbohydrates for energy should ideally be included in complex forms, such as certain vegetables, seeds, whole grains and legumes, rather that wheat, corn, or soy, as such sources are digested more slowly and are bursting with minerals and vitamins. Healthy Omega fats should be provided in the form of fish, fish oils, or flaxseed oil.
Large breed dogs like the husky are also more prone to developing musculoskeletal and orthopedic disorders like hip dysplasia and arthritis, so in addition to regular exercise, their food should include the correct balance of calcium and phosphorus for healthy bones and joints, and if possible the joint supplement glucosamine.
Husky owners should however be aware that whatever diet they provide, huskies often get bored with eating the same foods, so it’s a good idea to switch things up a little from time to time by adding an extra healthy ingredient here and there.
They are also known for having sensitive stomachs, so sticking to easily digestible foods is best.
Any Ingredients to Avoid?
There are certain foods that should never be fed to any breed of dog as they may be hazardous to their health, such as chocolate, caffeine and alcohol.
But husky parents should also be particularly careful to avoid grapes, prunes, and raisins, garlic and onions, macadamia nuts and avocados.
Poor quality ingredients should also be avoided, such as chemicals, artificial colorings and preservatives which can cause illness and have even been linked to cancer.
Meat or bone meal, or animal byproduct ingredients rather than real meat are of extremely bad quality and include animal body parts that are normally inedible and which have next to no nutritional value — hooves and feathers for example — and may also include meat derived from diseased or already dead animals.
As huskies are prone to sensitive stomachs, grain free dogs foods are often best as they don’t contain gluten which can cause allergies and digestive distress.
Best Dog Food for Huskies
Let’s take a look at some of the best dog foods available which provide an ideally balanced, tasty, and healthy diet for hungry husky hounds…
Blue Wilderness have created this tasty grain free, low carbohydrate recipe specially with large dog breeds in mind.
Chunks of real bison meat are the prime ingredient, and the brand’s patented LifeSource Bits contain a unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for optimal nutrition and health.
Blue Buffalo dry dog food also contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids for healthy skin and coat, glucosamine and chondroitin to ensure joints have maximum mobility, and calcium and other essential vitamins to keep bones and teeth in top condition.
- Contains no artificial ingredients or additives
- Grain free formula is easy on sensitive stomachs
- High quality premier protein source
- Dogs love the meaty taste
- No poultry by product meal is included
- Suitable for many dogs with allergies
- Relatively expensive
This American brand has been developed by popular TV chef Rachael Ray, who wanted to create wholesome foods for dogs.
The Nutrish Large Breed Natural Premium Dry Dog Food certainly contains a lot of good stuff, with morsels of real farm raised chicken as the premier ingredient, carrots and cranberries for those all important minerals and vitamins, plus vitamin C, zinc, and omega fatty acids for healthy skin and fur, as well as glucosamine and calcium in the form of chicken meal to promote healthy bones and joints.
It’s pretty digestible too, with beets, brown rice, and peas providing plenty of fiber and healthy carbohydrates for energy.
- Large size kibble ideal for bigger dogs
- Good joint support
- No harmful artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains zero animal byproducts
- Good balance of vitamins and minerals
- Affordable price
- Includes corn and soybean meal which are fillers with little nutritional value
- Ingredients could be of a better quality for a premium dog food
Perfect for energetic huskies, SPORTMiX Wholesome Fish Meal and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food contains protein packed seafood, chicken, or lamb meal as the single energy source.
It nutritionally balances Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and coat, and contains apples, blueberries, cranberries, carrots, and spinach to provide plenty of important vitamins and minerals.
Brown rice provides healthy fiber and carbohydrates, plus magnesium, and selenium for a healthy heart and boosted energy levels.
There’s also no corn, wheat, or soy, which are common ingredients that could cause bad gastrointestinal issues and allergy symptoms.
- High protein content is ideal for huskies
- Good amounts of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids
- Suitable for many dogs with allergies or sensitive stomachs
- Most dogs seem to like the taste
- Affordable price
- Chicken or fish meal is a questionable protein source – does not contain at least one quality whole meat source
- Kibble size is a little on the small side
Long established brand Royal Canin have created their large breed dry dog food formula for large dogs such as huskies aged 15 months to 5 years.
It contains a careful balance of proteins and fiber for optimal energy and digestive health, and is enriched with Omega 3 Fatty Acids to keep skin and coat healthy too.
Strong bones and joints are helped along with the inclusion of a special blend of vitamins and minerals.
- Large kibble size for bigger jaws
- Easy to digest
- Good balance of vitamins and minerals
- No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
- Cheaper than many competing brands
- Gives dogs lots of energy
- Ingredients could be higher quality — no primary quality meat source
- Contains fillers such as wheat and brewers rice which have next to no nutritional value
Black Gold Explorer Original Performance Formula is a balanced diet designed for optimal nutrition as well as optimal performance, especially in active and working breeds such as huskies.
Chicken meal provides good amounts of glucosamine and chondroitinsulfate to help dogs maintain healthy joints and hips, plus omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for great skin and a shiny coat.
This recipe also contains probiotics to help with your dog’s digestion and enhance their immune system.
- Made in the USA
- Ideal for active dog breeds as high in energy
- Reasonable price
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Free from artificial colors and chemical preservatives
- Contains ingredients of questionable quality such as poultry by-products and has no whole meat source
Boasting multiple protein sources including lamb, poultry, and fish, this complete dry dog food has been formulated to provide dogs of all breeds and all life stages a healthy diet.
The recipe doesn’t include any allergy triggering ingredients such as wheat, soy, or corn, instead using nutritious whole grains plus fruit and vegetables.
Prebiotics, probiotics, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and antioxidants have all been added to ensure that your dog has soft, shiny fur and clear skin, a boosted immune system, and strong bones, teeth, and joints, as well as a healthy digestive system.
- Doesn’t contain unnecessary fillers
- High in protein
- Suitable for almost any breed or age group
- Very flavorsome
- Easily digestible
- Recipe uses animal meal rather than whole meat
Only top quality ingredients make up the Diamond Naturals Adult Real Meat Recipe Premium Dry Dog Food.
The first ingredient is pasture raised beef, which along with chia seeds and quinoa provides plenty of energy for bones and muscles, keeping your dog active and alert.
The addition of select superfoods in the form of fruit, veggies, and grains, add key vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and omega fatty acids are also included to help keep skin and fur in beautiful condition.
The probiotic formula of this premium dry dog food features beneficial bacteria that support a healthy immune system and promote healthy digestion.
- Contains zero artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Free from wheat, soy and corn
- Features nutrient rich superfoods
- Competitively priced compared to similar foods from other brands
- High in protein
- Good quality ingredients
- Contains meat meal rather than whole meat
What do you think is the best dog food for huskies?