Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
Some dogs (and their owners!) hate baths. Manhandling a panicking dog in the shower is no one’s idea of fun.
But thankfully, there’s a compromise out there: dry shampoo for dogs.
Not only is it a great quick fix to spruce up your dog’s coat and keep them clean without the trauma of bath time, there’s evidence to show that dry shampoo could actually be better for your dog than regular baths.
Let’s find out more…
- 1 What Is Dry Dog Shampoo?
- 2 Benefits of Waterless Shampoo for Dogs
- 3 What to Look for in the Best Dry Dog Shampoo
- 4 The Best Dry Shampoo for Dogs Reviews
- 5 Conclusion
What Is Dry Dog Shampoo?
Dry dog shampoos — also known as waterless shampoo for dogs — are quick and easy to use products that absorb particles like dirt and grease from the fur.
Much like dry shampoo for humans, waterless shampoos require — you guessed it — no water, and so you can just spritz it on through the day rather than getting into the bath or shower.
While they won’t be that effective against a really muddy or dirty dog, there are a great solution for freshening up your pup, detangling their hair and deodorizing them.
How Do I Use Dry Shampoo for Dogs?
Dry dog shampoo usually comes as a powder, spray or mousse. All you need to do is simply massage the product into your dog’s coat and skin, leave it to work its magic for a short time and then finally brushing it out of the fur.
No rinsing in the bath necessary!
Benefits of Waterless Shampoo for Dogs
There are a surprising number of benefits of dry dog shampoo other than the fact that it’s simply more convenient to use than normal shampoo.
– Unlike traditional baths, dry dog shampoos don’t strip the coat of the natural oils which protect and condition the skin and coat. This means that they keep your dog’s skin and hair moisturized and healthy
– They smell great — and no water means no disagreeable wet dog smell!
– Great for dogs that get anxious around bath time
– Much quicker to apply than normal shampoo
Remember though: dry shampoo for dogs should never totally replace bath times. We’d recommend bathing your dog around once every 8 weeks and using dry shampoo in between to keep them looking and smelling fresh.
What to Look for in the Best Dry Dog Shampoo
As always, it’s important to buy the highest quality products when it comes to something that you’re applying directly to your dog’s coat. Cheap and low quality waterless shampoo may result in allergies and irritations for your dog — definitely something you want to avoid.
Ideally, you want a product that’s as natural as possible. Natural ingredients are much gentler on the hair and skin, while also being effective cleansers.
The fragrance should also be pleasant — there’s no point replacing a smelly dog with a pungent one!
It’s also a good idea to read reviews to check that the product is easy to apply and brush out. If it’s going to take you 20 minutes to remove the product from your pup’s coat, then you almost might as well have given them a full bath.
The Best Dry Shampoo for Dogs Reviews
We’ve got the lowdown on some of the leading dry dog shampoos on the market to help you choose which product is right for your pup. Here goes…
Wahl is one of the most popular dog shampoo manufacturers on the planet. Their environmentally friendly No-Rinse Waterless Shampoo is formulated with all natural plant derived ingredients and so is perfect for owners who like to treat their dogs the natural way.
This calming formula is fragranced with natural lavender and chamomile; scents that will calm and relax even the most hyper of pups.
- Pleasant aroma
- Foam formula is easy to use – just apply, rub in and towel dry
- 100% natural – no chemical additives, no preservatives
- As well as cleaning the hair of any dirt and debris, it also conditions the coat, detangles and moisturizes
- Contains oatmeal to soothe and replenish dry skin
- Made in the USA
- Low cost
- Not as effective on dirty paws
Specially formulated for pets with sensitive skin, this natural dry dog shampoo contains no harsh chemicals and is ethically produced in the USA with locally sourced, sustainable ingredients. It’s hypoallergenic and 100% free of detergents and alcohol.
Application is easy — simply spray the product on your dog’s coat before toweling and brushing out. The lemongrass scent is fresh and deodorizing — perfect!
- Recommended by vets and groomers
- Can also be used to freshen up anywhere pet odors linger
- Free from detergents, alcohols, parabens, sulphates and SLS
- Leaves coat soft and shiny
- 100% non-toxic
- Choice of fresh lemongrass or lavender scents
- Made in the USA with recycled, biodegradable and eco-friendly packaging
- 100% money back guarantee
- Sometimes you need a lot of product for really effective cleaning
- Fragrance wears off after a day or so
A few quick pumps of this waterless foaming mousse will keep your dog smelling fresh and clean. This product is suitable for all breed types — even those with sensitive skin — and leaves coats looking shiny and glossy.
Instead of just masking odors, this dry shampoo really cleanses and deodorizes, leaving your dog smelling fresh with just a whiff of a light coconut scent.
- Compact container is portable and fits easily into a bag, not shaped like a spray (good for anxious dogs!)
- Can be used to deodorize wherever doggy odors have lingered
- Fresh, clean coconut scent
- Only a few pumps required — a little product goes a long way
- Doesn’t affect topical flea treatments
- Made in the USA in a GMP compliant facility, overseen by vet science experts
- Satisfaction guarantee
- No need to brush out or rinse
- Not a natural product – contains a dye and preservative
- Don’t use too much product as it can leave hair feeling sticky
A natural coconut derived formula and no harsh chemicals makes this no rinse foam mousse gentle, safe and perfect for sensitive skin. Instead of just masking odors, the mousse directly removes any odor causing bacteria, eliminating the cause of the smell.
This cruelty free product is made in the USA in an EPA registered facility. It’s scented with a mango and pomegranate fragrance.
- Contains no harsh detergents
- Made in the USA and formulated by vets
- No need to brush out
- Safe to use with flea treatments and other topical products
- Economical and long-lasting
- Pleasantly scented with mango and pomegranate
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- You’ll either love the mango fragrance or find it a little overpowering
- Don’t use too much as it could leave the coat a little sticky
Burt’s Bees are known for producing high quality, natural beeswax products for humans, but they also have a range of pet products — including this waterless shampoo for dogs.
This cruelty-free shampoo is made with 97% natural ingredients and comes in a spray bottle for easy application. It can also be used on sensitive skin.
- pH balanced specifically for dogs
- Contains no sulphates or artificial coloring
- Apple extract and honey give a pleasant scent
- Environmentally friendly packaging
- Low cost
- Some dogs may not like the spray
- You need to towel dry the coat after use
Dry shampoo for dogs is a particularly smart investment if pup suffers with sensitive, dry or irritated skin, if she is temperamental or anxious during normal baths, or has difficulty standing for long periods. They’re also great when you are short on time or when you’re out and about, or if you don’t have the space or facilities to give your dog a bath with soap and water.
Whilst waterless shampoos can’t completely replace the need for bathing your dog the traditional way, they are an effective way to keep her fresh and clean between bath times. As you can see from these reviews there are a wide variety of safe, natural products available to keep your furry friend happy, spotless and smelling sweet.
What’s your favorite dry dog shampoo?