Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
An orthopedic dog bed is a great investment for the health of your dog.
Just like us humans, our doggy friends need to get quality, comfortable sleep in order to live their best lives.
Hard floors can be tough on a dog’s joints and muscles — particularly as they get older, and while many owners choose to allow their dogs to sleep in their beds with them, this can be cramped and inconvenient — and not necessarily good for the dog.
Giving your pooch their own space to sleep is the best option, but not all dog beds offer enough comfort and body support for a good doggy night sleep.
The best kind of dog bed is an orthopedic dog bed — these are the perfect blend of comfort and support.
Read on to discover all the essential facts you need to know to choose the right bed for your dog…
- 1 What is an Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- 2 Does My Dog Need an Orthopedic Bed?
- 3 Pros and Cons of Orthopedic Dog Beds
- 4 The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds
- 4.1 Serta Orthopedic Quilted Dog Bed
- 4.2 Big Barker 7″ Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top (Headrest Edition)
- 4.3 Papa Pet Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 4.4 Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 4.5 BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 4.6 Petlo Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed
- 4.7 Brindle 4 Inch Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 4.8 Stella Beds Elevated Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed
- 4.9 KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 4.10 JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed Memory Foam Pet Bed
What is an Orthopedic Dog Bed?
Orthopedic dog beds are specially designed to prevent muscle and joint pain in younger dogs, and to help relieve muscle and joint pain in older dogs.
There are many different styles of orthopedic dog bed, but the best ones are stuffed with memory foam which molds itself to the shape of your dog’s body and give him the support his needs — just like a memory foam mattress for humans.
Top quality dog beds will also feature special orthopedic foam which has a specially shaped surface to provide a massaging effect and distribute the dog’s weight evenly, reducing the pressure points on the body.
Some styles have bolstered sides allowing your dog to rest their head in comfort, and others feature a dipped entrance to make getting in and out of the bed as easy as possible — a great feature for older and disabled dogs.
Some beds have removable covers made from a practical water resistant material, while others are made from soft, plush fabrics.
Orthopedic dog beds also protect your dog from the cold, keeping him warm and cozy.
But not all dog beds that claim to be ‘orthopedic’ truly are — check out this video to get the low down:
Does My Dog Need an Orthopedic Bed?
There are many reasons why your dog might need an orthopedic dog bed.
Dogs can suffer from joint issues such as hip dysplasia at any age, and an orthopedic bed can help alleviate the pain associated with such problems.
Likewise, if your dog has suffered a bone or muscle injury, an orthopedic dog bed will give them a comfortable place to rest and heal.
Large breed dogs are more prone to suffering from joint and bone problems, so providing them with a high quality, orthopedic bed will help improve any such issues — or may even prevent them from occurring in the first place.
Elderly dogs most definitely benefit from having an orthopedic dog bed.
Sadly, age related muscle loss and arthritis can be a cause of significant pain for an older dog, and a decent, specially designed dog bed is a much more soothing place to rest than a cold, hard floor, and will greatly improve the dog’s quality of life as he continues to age.
Pros and Cons of Orthopedic Dog Beds
There are many advantages to buying an orthopedic dog bed…
- The thick foam base is comfortable for your dog and eases pressure points.
- The thick base also allows your dog to be slightly raised and insulated from the floor, keeping them warm and snug
- Orthopedic dog beds are ideal for large breed dogs and older dogs
- The dog bed is a personal place exclusively for your dog where he can feel safe and secure
- Perfect for dogs with joint or muscle problems such as arthritis, or who are suffering from other injuries or illnesses
- Can help dogs who are restless sleepers get a good night’s sleep
Whilst there aren’t many drawbacks to buying an orthopedic dog bed, there are a couple of things that are worth taking into account…
- Orthopedic dog beds are usually more expensive than regular dog beds
- These beds can often be bulky and take up floor space
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds
Need more help deciding which bed is right for your furry companion?
Here’s our comprehensive guide to 10 of the best orthopedic dog bed reviews.
The Serta orthopedic dog bed is made with 4 inches of quality egg crate style orthopedic foam which distributes your dog’s weight evenly, and relieves aches and pains.
It also maintains good air flow all night long to ensure that your pup doesn’t get too hot.
The plush, quilted cover of this bed is soft and comfortable, and comes in a choice of eight different colors.
It can also be unzipped and removed for easy machine washing.
- Multiple sizes available
- Great for large breed dogs
- Cover is easy to remove and wash
- Quality product
- Good for dogs who like to stretch out when they sleep
- Not waterproof
- No bolstered sides to lay their heads on
Big Barker creates orthopedic dog beds specially designed with large dogs in mind.
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed with Pillow-Top features 7 inches of top grade therapeutic, toxin free foam which comes with a guarantee that it won’t flatten more than 10% over a period of ten years.
The 7 inch foam mattress is made up of three layers, with the central layer being a 3 inch high density foam core, covered by a 2 inch layer of comfort foam that even the biggest, heaviest dogs will love.
The hard wearing microfiber cover on this dog bed is easily removable thanks to an extra long zipper, and is machine washable.
The design of this bed also features a bolster head rest, so your pup can lay his head at just the right angle, like on a pillow.
- Four colors to choose from
- Ideal for large breeds
- Pillowtop is perfect for your dog to rest their head
- Quality dog bed
- Built to last
- Easy to keep clean
- Effectively relieves pressure points
- Large size bed not suitable for small breed dogs
- Very expensive
Thanks to a tough yet soft, tear-resistant Microsuede cover, the Papa Pet Orthopedic Dog Bed is built to stand up to some tough treatment — including power chewing.
The waterproof inner lining keeps the 4 inch high quality, high density memory foam mattress clean and dry.
The cover unzips via a hidden zipper and can be machine washed, and the base of this therapeutic dog bed has a non slip surface.
The memory foam is incredibly comfortable and allows your dog to distribute his weight evenly to eliminate any pain caused by joint or muscle problems.
This orthopedic dog bed is available in three different sizes to suit most sizes and breeds
- Machine washable
- Durable and good quality
- Chew and tear resistant
- Very comfortable memory foam that relieves pressure points
- No choice of colors
Two inches of contouring, spine supporting memory foam make up the top layer of this 4 inch orthopedic dog bed from Milliard.
Lined with a special coating, the removable polyester zippered cover is both waterproof and machine washable, so it’s easy to keep clean.
This orthopedic dog bed is available in four different sizes, to suit small breeds like chihuahuas up to larger breeds such as German shepherds.
- Excellent low price
- Made from quality memory foam
- Effectively relieves arthritis symptoms
- No choice of colors
- Cover is a little flimsy
- No bolstered side
It sports a base mattress made from 4 inches of grooved, human grade, orthopedic foam which provides excellent weight distribution and joint support, and which also allows air to circulate so your dog stays cool.
This dog bed also boasts a cotton padded cushion all around the rim to keep your pooch super comfy and snug, or for him to rest his head on when sleeping.
The washable polyester cover is quilted to provide extra softness for your dog to sink into, and the base has a non slip rubber surface to stop it skidding around when your dogs is getting in and out.
- Good for dogs that like to curl up
- Good quality construction
- Easy to clean
- Attractive design
- Dogs like the cushioned rim
- Super comfortable
- Eases pressure points
- Limited sizes available
- Some customers find the foam too thin for their dogs
Resembling a sofa for humans, the padded cushion around the rim of this orthopedic dog bed by Petlo provides good head and neck support, and features an opening so your dog can have easy access as they climb in and out of the bed.
The base is made from 5 inches of high density, top grade memory foam to give maximum joint and muscle support.
This orthopedic dog bed large comes in a choice of three sizes and two neutral colors to blend in with your decor.
The water resistant cotton polyester blend cover can be removed for machine washing.
- Stylish design
- Can buy replacement covers separately
- Furniture quality fabrication
- Cushioned rim allows your dog to rest their head
- Easy to keep clean
- Water resistant
- Covers can be a little tricky to get on and off
Made to a simple design, this orthopedic dog mattress is made up from 2 inches of sturdy support foam, covered by a 2 inch layer of hypoallergenic memory foam to give a total of 4 inches of body support.
Between the foam and the cover is a polyurethane waterproof layer to ensure the foam stays clean, dry and free from bacteria.
The velour cover is soft to the touch, and can be removed for washing.
Available in three different colors, this orthopedic dog bed alsois available in three different size specially designed to fit neatly into standard sizes of dog crate.
- Waterproof and washable
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Very comfortable
- Non-skid base
- Comes with 3 year warranty
- Foam may not be firm enough for arthritic dogs
- No bolstered side
We love this high tech orthopedic dog bed from Stella Beds that boasts a firm structured memory foam layer as well as a softer hybrid gel memory foam layer to control temperature.
Dogs can sleep on the structured memory foam side to keep warm during the colder months, and then the bed can be flipped over for warmer weather to take advantage of the gel foam and keep your dog cool.
The washable cover is made from cool, strong cotton, and is lined with a waterproof layer in case of accidents or wet, muddy paws.
- Versatile design with cooling / warming technology
- Washable cover
- Durable, quality product
- Effective at relieving pain and pressure points
- Attractive design
- Great price
- No bolstered side
- Zipper could be a little tougher
Seven inches of orthopedic grade memory foam make up the extra thick base of this orthopedic dog bed, included in which are five inches of support foam and two inches of softer comfort foam.
This hypoallergenic dog bed has an inner liner inside the cover that is water resistant, and the Micro-Suede removable, washable cover is tough yet soft for your pooch to lie on.
Another great feature about this dog bed is the integrated three inch high pillow headrest at one end which provides additional head and neck support and allows your pet to get really comfy.
The bottom of the bed is covered in a rubberized surface to prevent it slipping around.
There’s also a waterproof liner to put a halt to any little accidents!
It comes in a choice of three different sizes and two different colors.
- Fantastic design offering head and neck support
- Works effectively to relieve pressure points
- Offers firm support
- Super comfortable memory foam and pillow
- Water resistant with washable cover
- Ideal for large dogs
- Somewhat expensive
Your pooch will receive a cute squeaky bone plush toy along with the JOYELF Orthopedic Dog Bed Memory Foam Pet Bed, but that’s just an added bonus to this great dog bed.
Made from a mix of different materials, the base of this bed is waterproof with a non slip backing, while the sides are constructed from sturdy tear resistant and water resistant fabric.
The outer cover is made from cozy plush fabric, and can be removed for washing due to the all round zipper.
A bolster stuffed with quality cotton fill runs round the edge of this dog bed, with a slight dip so they can climb in and out easily.
This is a fantastic feature which adds head and neck support for your dog and which means they can get themselves into a wider variety of positions. The mattress is made from high quality memory foam.
- Excellent low price
- Comes in a choice of four sizes
- Robust and durable
- Nice looking design
- Dogs love the comfort
- Machine washable cover
- Expect some off-gassing from the memory foam after unpacking
- The memory foam base is a little thin for dogs who need the most support
Which do you think is the best orthopedic dog bed?