Dogs may be man’s best friend, but they certainly aren’t the best companions for your furniture. From Huskies to Labs, we can rely on our furry friends to chew on our curtains, sofas, and dad’s slippers.
To avoid the slobber and mangled messes, dog tug toys are a brilliant alternative to entertain your canine companion.
The best products will provide your pup with mental and physical stimulation, while keeping them from indulging in any destructive chewing behavior.
But not all tug toys for dogs are the bee’s knees. We’ve compiled this guide to the best dog tug toys on the market right now, as well as some safety pointers to be aware of before you buy.
Let’s get down to it…
- 1 Dog Tug of War Toys
- 2 Best Dog Tug Toys: Reviews
- 3 Conclusion
Dog Tug of War Toys
Not all dogs were created equal, and neither were all tug toys.
Huskies in particular are power chewers and can easily tear through low quality toys.
See also: the best super-durable husky chew toys.
The obvious safety hazard of choking is compounded by the likelihood of a torn up plastic toy finding its way beneath our feet.
Moreover, when we spend our money on a toy for our dog, we expect it to last as long as possible — not to be chewed to smithereens within 10 minutes.
Here’s what you need to look out for to find the best dog tug toys.
The best and most durable tug toys for dogs are made of sturdy materials, such as hard rubber.
That plushie isn’t going to last 5 minutes…
But be careful — you don’t want to purchase a tug toy that’s too hard as you may run the risk of it breaking your dog’s teeth.
Avoid the cheaper fabrics: these won’t last long when your husky gets their teeth into it and starts tugging. Most prominently, plush toys will not last long and the stuffing could be dangerous if your pup ends up swallowing it.
Those of us owners who get annoyed by squeaker toys are in luck — we always recommend avoiding these as the squeaker can present your dog with a choking hazard.
A good alternative to tough rubber are rope toys — they’re tough and can even floss your dog’s teeth. Plu,s if your dog accidentally swallows some of the rope strands, they will simply harmlessly pass straight through the digestive system. No harm, no foul!
Can a Tug Toy Ever Be ‘Indestructible’?
Don’t be fooled by the labeling.
Many companies claim their tug toys are ‘indestructible’; however this is just not true.
Just like the Titanic wasn’t the ship that couldn’t sink, these dog tug toys will not last forever.
Some are certainly tougher than others but all will eventually wear out one day. Our job is to help you find the dog tug of war toys that last for months, rather than minutes.
Usually the best and toughest toys are the most expensive — it’s best to think of them as a long term investment.
The Benefits of Tug Toys for Dogs
Spending the time to find the right tug toy will pay off in the end.
They’re a brilliant outlet for your dog’s energy, and the more time they spend chewing their toy, the less time they’ll spend tearing up your house!
Large breeds like Huskies, Labs and Golden Retrievers require plenty of exercise every day in order to keep them happy and healthy. While playing with a tug toy can never replace the benefits of going for a walk, it can certainly act as a good slice of exercise in addition to your walks and training.
Plus, they’re fun!
Dogs are sociable creatures so playing with your dog and their new toy will strengthen your relationship even further. Using your tug toy together is a bonding experience and one that both owner and pup will cherish forever.
Now, without further ado — let’s find out which tug toys for dogs are worth our dollars.
Best Dog Tug Toys: Reviews
The Goughnuts TuG is probably the closest thing to indestructible that we have on this list. Designed with larger breeds in mind, it’s popular with power chewers and pups that really like to go to town on their toys.
Measuring 11 inches in length, this toy is composed of two rings — one for your hand and one for your dog’s mouth — for the ultimate game of tug of war.
Safety is Goughnuts’ highest priority and that’s reflected in the durability of this hard rubber toy. Fido will be hard pressed to tear this to pieces!
It is slightly more expensive than some of the other toys in this list but — as we stated before — it’s best to look on it as a long-term investment.
- Ultra tough and durable
- Engages both the owner and dog for optimal interaction and bonding
- Also suitable for two dogs to play tug of war with
- Suitable for power chewers, pullers and large breeds
- There is some flex in the rubber to allow your dog a nice chew
- An initial rubber smell on first unpacking
- It’s heavy — 1.6 lbs — and could hurt you if you drop it on your toes!
This toy is targeted at medium to larger breeds of dogs and will be a surefire hit with anyone searching for durable dog tug of war toys.
At 16.5 inches long, you and your pup can really wrestle with it, without worrying that it’s going to fall apart at any second.
It’s made with 100% natural cotton on the inside with a polyester exterior, and the ends of the toy have been designed to floss the dog’s teeth while they’re playing. We love a toy that combines play with dental hygiene!
Lots of people recommend this toy for owners looking to channel their dog’s energy into something other than destructive chewing behavior.
- Previous users seem impressed by its longevity, even when used by aggressive chewers
- It works on your dog’s dental health during playtime
- Colorful so easy to spot if it goes flying in the yard
- Good for owner and dog, or two dogs to use together
- Doesn’t shed cotton strands like other rope toys tend to do
- It’s big and reasonably heavy so won’t be suitable for small breeds
If you’ve got a smaller dog wanting to get their teeth into a tug toy, this could be the one for you.
Another knotted rope design with a protective rubber sleeve, the toy measures approximately 12.5” long and is available in an assortment of colors.
Just like with the rope toy above, this tug toy combines durable play with some gentle teeth flossing thanks to the multi-layered cotton material the rope is constructed from.
- Strong and long lasting for small to medium dogs
- Shaped for optimal fun, great for chewing and tossing
- It’s designed to absorb any stress from tugging, making it safer for your dog
- The strands can floss your dog’s teeth
- Not suitable for power chewers
- Reasonably large size so not a good fit for particularly small dogs
KONG is probably one of the best known names in the dog toy market and this, the KONG Wubba, is one of their bestsellers.
While it isn’t made of the hard rubber or rope that we would normally recommend, we’ve found the Wubba to be one of the most fun tug toys for mild to moderate chewers.
Bear in mind that this is a toy for tugging, not for chewing. It’s not suitable for power chewers (check out that squeaker) but other pups with less strong jaws will undoubtedly love it.
This toy is designed around two balls, one a tennis ball, and the other a squeaker ball which are encased in a nylon fabric. The toy is available in a variety of sizes and colors.
- Engaging and fun for mild to moderate chewers
- Surprisingly durable as long as you don’t let your pup chew through the nylon casing
- Has a soft mouth feel for a nice, satisfying chew
- Floats in the water
- Brightly colored so easy to spot when you’re out and about
- Always supervise your dog during play to ensure that they don’t chew through it
- Not suitable for power chewers
Tether Tug are a US company specializing in creating outdoor tug toys for dogs that your pup can use on their own for the same level of mental and physical stimulation as you’d expect from a normal tug toy.
The toys are available in sizes suitable for puppies all the way up to the Uber size that we’re presenting here — this is designed for the strongest and largest breeds and is, according to Tether Tug themselves, “the closest thing to an indestructible dog toy you will ever find.”
This toy is targeted towards larger breeds of dogs, and engages the dog by itself so as to save you a dislocated shoulder! It’s super flexible, allowing for spinning and turning during usage, whilst also boasting a very strong inner core for durability.
Here’s a video of the Tether Tug in action if you’re curious:
- Very interactive for your dog and does not require a human hand
- Uber durable
- If it doesn’t hold up, Tether Tug will send you a replacement or refund
- Suitable for the most powerful and large breeds of dog
- Easily installed in your yard
- Can be dissembled when not in use
- Can only be used outside
- Retails at a significantly higher price point than other options
If you’re worried about the price, never fear — we’ve got some coupons for you to use for some much needed money off:
- Get $5 off your first order
- Get $20 off on your purchase of $100 or more
- Free shipping on orders over $65 (USA only)
Phew — by now you should know all you’ll ever need to know about the best dog tug toys.
Always remember to buy a toy that’s appropriate for your dog’s size and chewing power. And don’t forget — often the best and most durable toys are some of the most expensive.
Which is your favorite of the dog tug of war toys?